Santorini, Greece

Santorini, Greece
There's nothing like living overseas and getting to spend Spring Break in another country.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sweden is not Ireland - there are snakes here...


So today Darren and I biked to Sunnersta a little town about 4 miles south of Uppsala to go kayaking on the Fyrisån  (river). It was a beautiful day - sunny and unusually warm (almost 80 degrees F). I love being on the water. And I not much unsettles me. I like mice, spiders and bugs but snakes, I don't deal with so well unless I have a garden hoe in hand and can chop it up. As we were paddling up the river towards Uppsala, I see this little thing moving across the water to intercept us. When I point it out to Darren, he says it's a snake. I think he's joking but then as we pass by, there he is. A tiny, skinny snake slithering through the cold water. We saw a second guy on the trail back to Uppsala. I didn't notice him until I saw the woman biking towards us pick her feet up off her bike pedals. I have spent three summers in Sweden and never seen a snake before here. I had allowed myself to believe that Sweden must be like Ireland where St. Patrick supposedly drove all the snakes out. I am sad to find out I'm wrong but now I'll be watching where I step.

2 comments:

mjb said...

i didn't know you had a blog! So good to get an update!
Michele Bass

JMG said...

Hey Jenny! I got your newsletter yesterday and saw that you now have a blog. How cool! I never use my full name in the blogs, so if you can't figure out who I am by my initials, I'm the English prof who goes to BSF. You're welcome to come check out my blog--even though we'll disagree on a lot of stuff!

I'm surprised that a snake was swimming in cold water. I like to canoe the Caney Fork because the water in the river below Center Hill Dam is too cold for snakes--thank the Lord!! We typically take two or three day trips down the river during the summer, so when you get home, come with us sometime.

Good to talk to ya!!